Become a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI®) through International Loving Touch and help spread the wonderful gift of Loving Touch!
We are pleased to offer you both the Loving Touch® 2-Day CIMI® Training (in-person) and our newly launched HYBRID Home-based ONLINE Course. Our training’s are led by highly experienced Licensed Certified Infant Massage Instructor Trainers who are active professionals working in the field of infants and children. Our Instructor Trainers have had many years of experience teaching infant massage as practitioners within their professional environments. By special arrangement we can still provide the 3-day training’s for specific groups.
CIMI® – Certified Infant Massage Instructor (sometimes shortened to Infant Massage Instructor). CIMI® is a Registered Trademark title owned by the International Loving Touch Foundation, located in Portland, Oregon. ILTF uses the trademark for those who are Active Instructors having completed the Certified Infant Massage Instructor Training, an accredited program.
Our advanced Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI®) Training offers an individualized and nurturing approach to training parents/primary caregivers with infants and young children in the art of infant massage. Practitioners in many disciplines and professions have taken our training courses and can attest to its quality and content. We offer a comprehensive program, as well as a wide variety of support materials and a web–based professional community My CIMI® portal to support your efforts and educational needs as an instructor.
The program model is relationship-based and family-centered, promoting the idea that infants and their families are collaborators in developing an individualized program of support to maximize physical, mental, and emotional growth; health and other positive outcomes for infants and children from the well–baby to the special needs or challenged infant.
As a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI®) you can get much greater satisfaction out of teaching when you are able to share your experiences, resources, contacts, and knowledge with others. The support and marketing assistance provided by the International Loving Touch Foundation can make your role as an instructor easier, and more fulfilling and enable you to become part of a larger network of qualified healthcare professionals.
What You Get in Class
• 155+ Page Instructor Manual & Required Reading materials & Doll
• Baby’s First Touch Parent Booklets (both English & Spanish)
• Set of class brochures & Bottle of Infant Massage Oil
• Resource packet with articles and handouts
Pre-reading of required books and articles prior to training prepares students for the training
• Global history, theory, methodology and techniques of The Loving Touch® Method of infant massage
• Massaging the healthy full-term newborn and the growing toddler
• Massaging physically challenged infants and children
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
• Describe the history of infant massage as a parenting practice used worldwide.
• Identify how birth and childhood memories can influence present behaviors.
• Discuss how to prepare an environment conducive for an infant massage session.
• Demonstrate the skills and techniques of infant massage with the use of a doll.
• Discuss the details of setting up and teaching the curriculum for the Loving Touch® Parent-Infant Massage Program.
• Describe infant cues leading to an infant’s ability to willingly or unwillingly engage in reciprocal interaction.
• Identify which behavioral state is optimal for receiving infant massage.
• Demonstrate the various techniques of a full infant massage routine.
• Assist in teaching the skills and techniques and methods of infant massage to parents and/or primary caregivers.
• Analyze own, infant and parent responses to infant massage session.
• Discuss the benefits of infant massage as they relate to both infant/child and parent/caregiver.
• Review the details of setting up and teaching the curriculum for the Loving Touch® Parent-Infant Massage Program.
• Review the primary benefit categories of infant massage.
• Review and recall a variety of evidence-based research studies on the importance of touch for healthy growth and development of infant or child.
• Discuss how infant massage techniques can be applied (and/or adapted) to medically challenged children.
• Describe how touch plays a role in the development of the newborn’s brain.
• Demonstrate teaching the skills and techniques of infant massage with the use of a doll.
• Assess muscle tone for practicing appropriate massage routine.
• Practice stroke adaptations for medically challenged children the growing toddler.
• Practice teaching the skills and techniques of infant massage to parents and/or primary caregivers.
• Compare own, infant and parent responses to this infant massage session with responses from session on day one.
• Practice The Loving Touch® Method techniques and sequence.
• Review the study materials and training tools necessary for the post practicum coursework and final certification.
Our training is presented through lecture, audio-visuals, discussion, demonstration, and hands-on participation with a doll and through the presence of a daily parent–infant demonstration class. (in-person courses)
• Multiple learning styles
• Repetition through various instructional methods
• Using different ways of assimilating same knowledge
• Active learning experiences
• Anecdotal stories and case studies
• Audio-visual presentations, Powerpoint presentations, class discussions and small group interactions
• Brain-based learning
• In-classroom practice quizzes
• In-classroom authentic instruction with parent-infant demonstration sessions
• Hands-on play exercises
• Student teaching opportunities with parents attending
• Comprehensive review of post-training exam (online) and research practicum
• Questions and Answers
• Attend training course.
• Read required textbooks, articles and research studies.
• Complete open book exam. (online platform)
• Teach the Loving Touch® Parent-Infant Massage Program to a minimum of four (4) sets of parents. Newborns to infants six months of age is recommended; older babies and toddlers are okay, too!
• Write eight (8) SOAP Note observational summaries, one for each of your individual sessions.
• Collect feedback from parents you have instructed using the evaluation forms provided with your exam materials.
An initial due date of two months after the training course (both in-person and online course) will be given to complete the exam, SOAP Note observational summaries and evaluation forms. One two-month extension may be requested to complete coursework; additional extensions may be requested and may require payment of an additional fee. Upon completion of all requirements, graduates will receive a diploma of completion, granted registeration in the International Loving Touch® Registry of Certified Infant Massage Instructors and have access instructor forms and other materials online through our new My CIMI® portal.
The fundamental objective of the course is to instruct and prepare students for the CIMI® examination and the ability to teach families in infant massage. All we ask from you is a 100% commitment to the training program and follow-up coursework.
We are a nationally accredited program and offer continuing education hours for healthcare professionals. Accreditation Information
Renewal Process – Annual / bi Annual
Registered CIMI® instructors will remain in Active status, thus maintaining their CIMI® credential, by renewing their certification. Certification renewal requires payment of CIMI® renewal and submission of continuing education information. Annual renewal covers instructor educational development, resources, instructor calendar, materials & supplies for classes, website support & resources with MY CIMI® and staff support. Continuing education (three contact hours per year/or 6 for two year renewals) may come from numerous resources (e.g., conferences and/or workshops pertaining to early childhood, parenting, health education, massage therapy related workshops, self-study books and/or research articles). Continuing education is not required for first-time, one-year renewals.
Absence of Conflict of Interest Disclosure
The International Loving Touch Foundation, Inc. (ILTF) is committed to providing instruction to course participants and support to certified instructors that is ethical and without bias. ILTF, its planners, presenters and staff receive no commercial support or sponsorship and have disclosed no conflicts of interest.